Public Works Operations Manager (Utilities)
Public Works Operations Manager (Utilities) - Oak Ridge, TN
Under administrative direction of the Public Works Director; plans, directs and supervises all Public Works utilities operations, including water distribution, sewer collection, and the City’s water and wastewater treatment plants operation and maintenance. Champions customer service, inter-departmental collaboration, technological and efficiency improvements, and fiscal stewardship and responsiveness. Responsible for the promotion of employee engagement, education and professional development.
Essential Job Functions: Confers with and provides technical advice to assigned staff, design professionals and contractors regarding the design, construction, maintenance and repair of potable water and sanitary sewer lines, and water and wastewater treatment projects.
• Assigns, supervises and evaluates the work of assigned staff to ensure that water and wastewater operations, maintenance and regulatory requirements are met, effectively and efficiently.
• Assists Director in the preparation of annual operations and maintenance budgets; reviews and approves expenditures, approves the requisition of supplies, materials and equipment.
• Performs employee evaluations and reviews the work of staff through meetings, observation and modification of work practices, reports, and conferences.
• Responsible for promoting employee engagement, education and professional development.
• Assists the Public Works Director in the preparation and implementation of short- and long-term department goals and objectives.
• Assists in the planning and management of capital improvement projects regarding water distribution, sewer collection, and water and wastewater treatment.
• Participates in hiring decisions of new employees and the selection of consultants for various City contract proposals.
• Ensures that assigned staff are adhering to Department and City policies and procedures.
• Responds to questions and complaints from citizens, contractors and consultants.
• Prepares various regular and special reports as requested by the Public Works Director.
• Acts as liaison with the federal Department of Energy regarding special joint projects.
• Strives to maintain Compliance with all regulatory guidelines; meets with external regulatory agencies to provide information and take action as needed.
• Works collaboratively with other Public Works managers and Department heads. Coordinates work with other managers and departments as needed.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public works program administration.
• Knowledge of the laws and regulations of construction and maintenance methods, materials and equipment used in municipal public works.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of organization and management, budgeting and fund control and employee supervision.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, equipment and materials used in water/wastewater treatment and distribution/collection systems.
• Knowledge of state and federal regulations relating to water/wastewater treatment and distribution/collection systems.
• Knowledge in GIS capabilities associated with utilities.
• Skill in effective oral and written communications.
• Skill in reading, understanding and reviewing plans to determine compliance with utilities and other requirements.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City officials, contractors, consultants, other public agencies and the general public.
• Skill in evaluating and managing multiple employees for adherence to policies, procedures and daily work tasks for an effective and efficient work force, and promoting employee engagement and satisfaction.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction, public administration or a closely related field; and five (5) years of management and administrative experience in the construction and maintenance of water distribution and collection system piping, and water and wastewater treatment systems; and considerable experience in project/construction management, planning and implementation, grant/contract administration, or an equivalent combination of related education, training and/or experience to perform the essential duties of the position.
• Professional Engineer Certificate preferred.
• Must be able to obtain, Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection certification.
• Possession of a valid State of Tennessee Driver’s license, or ability to obtain.
$69,804.80 - $87,245.60