Position Title: Sewer Director/P.E. - Frankfort, KY
The Sewer Director oversees all aspects of the provision of wastewater collection and treatment services to citizens in a cost effective and environmentally sound manner. This position is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating the activities of the Sewer Department; and other duties as assigned or required. The position reports to the City Manager and oversees a staff of approximately 40.
Key responsibilities include:
• Ensures plant operations comply with City, State and Federal regulations and guidelines;
• Plans, directs, and evaluates activities of the Department;
• Responsible for the management, finance, human resources and technical aspects of the Department by preparing operating and maintenance budgets and long range capital improvement budgets;
• Oversees the preparation of plans and specifications for construction contracts and specifications for Department vehicle and equipment purchases;
• Oversees the development of and maintains standards for construction of sewer extensions and modifications of the municipal sewer facilities;
• Responsible for the purchasing of Department materials, equipment, vehicles and other items as identified;
• Responsible for the Department Health and Safety Program and ensures compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations;
• Analyzes projects for economic justification, feasibility and potential environmental impacts;
• Communicates with the public and neighborhood groups regarding issues concerning Sewer Department activities in an effective and diplomatic manner
• Oversees the development of short and long range plans which direct the overall Department objectives;
• Provides guidance regarding the development of rate structures
• Manages environmental monitoring program
• Must have the ability to analyze and resolve complex administrative and operational problems;
• Procures, manages, reviews work and recommends payment for professional consultant services and contractors used by the Department;
• Prepares and maintains required reports and records necessary to document compliance with all regulatory requirements;
• Responsible for all personnel actions relating to Department employees;
• Responsible for the administration of all Department programs;
• Represents the Department with customers, regulators and the media;
• Attends Board of Commissioner meetings and reports on departmental activities as required;
• Makes presentations to civic organizations, schools, and other organizations as required;
• Other duties as assigned or required.
Successful candidates will have:
• Excellent understanding of EPA regulations, experience with CSO/SSO consent decrees.
• Strong knowledge of Industrial Pretreatment Programs and Fats, Oil, and Grease Programs.
• Ability to analyze data and focus on outcomes and performance measures.
• Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establishes realistic budget plans and demonstrates fiscal accountability.
• Treats all people with respect; works cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
• Provides direction, motivation, and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices.
• Maintains a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective.
• Productive, efficient, thoughtful management of employees.
Work Experience Requirements:
Ten (10) years of experience in civil or municipal engineering with at least five (5) years of experience designing wastewater projects or managing wastewater facilities. Two (2) years in a management capacity. Graduate work in a related field will substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Civil or Environmental Engineering. Class IV Wastewater Operator’s license preferred.
Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License. Must be licensed as a professional engineer by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or obtain licensure within 6 months of employment, and maintain license as a condition of employment. Residency in City of Frankfort required (residency timing and moving expenses to be agreed upon if candidate is relocating).
Please submit salary requirements with cover letter.
Interested candidates should submit the following items by 4:00 p.m., Thursday, May 31, 2018
• Cover letter, specifying salary requirements
• City of Frankfort application (available on the City of Frankfort website)
Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test and background check, including credit history, is a condition of employment.
Please submit all documents to:
City of Frankfort, Kentucky
Attn: Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 697
Frankfort, KY 40602
The City of Frankfort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity.